Skip to main content

Interview with Snow White authors: Gwen Moeller


    Today, I have the privilege of interviewing Gwen Moeller!  She is my first Snow White interview, so I am pretty excited.  Without further ado, let's welcome Gwen!  (And give me a little grace -- this was my first interview, and I was a little nervous.)



Me:

     Hi, Gwen!  Welcome to my blog!  I and my band of dear friends are so glad to see you.  We are honored by your presence.

      I am most interested in your story for the Rooglewood Snow White contest.  What is your story about?


Gwen:

     My story, "Poisoned," is a Snow White retelling set in a classic fantasy setting, but with a different take on fantasy races.
Nix never knew her mother, and the father she knew was always sad and reclusive, neglecting his duties as king of the Human realm. When Nix was fifteen, her father married a stunning Elf. But he wasn't revitalized by the marriage, instead he wasted away until he took his own life. Now Nix's stepmother is queen regent until Nix comes of age.
But as Nix's twenty-first birthday approaches, Nix knows her life is in danger. Her allies are vanishing, strange events are happening, and Nix knows she has to get out.
Everyone in the Human realm is terrified of the queen regent, and Nix knows she will find no help from the Elves. So she turns to the people who want her stepmother deposed as much as she does: the Goblins.


Me:

     Ooooh, so exciting!!!!  And turning to the Goblins for help?  It makes me want to read this story even more!

     Why did you choose to enter the Rooglewood contest this year?  And how did you get the idea for your story?


Gwen:

     I chose to enter because fairy tale retellings are some of my favorite things to read, and I love writing them just as much. I like re-writing fairytales because you get to write it exactly as you want to! The Snow White tale has never been a favorite of mine, so I enjoyed writing it to my own taste.

     It's a bit embarrassing how I came up with the idea, actually. My daughter was watching "Sofia the first" (a show for small children on Disney channel), and there was this episode about trolls, and about how they were misunderstood. The trolls in "Sofia" have green hair and skin, and I thought it was interesting! So my idea was actually born from that. Granted, the Goblins in my story are nothing like the trolls in "Sofia," except for the green skin.


Me:

     I love the fact that you switched things up on the usual representation of goblins.

     What was the hardest thing about writing this story?

     And, if someone else struggles with this, do you have any tips for them?


Gwen:

     Thanks! I've always been interested in writing multiple races. I think Goblins can be interesting. They're almost always portrayed as evil or diminutive, and I wanted to take a different road.

     The hardest thing for me was coming up with how they would ultimately defeat a villain that has magic, when the protagonist does not. I struggled with how to end it for a long time, and I wrote at least three endings before I came to the ending in my submission.

     My tip is to ask others for help if you're stuck! My husband was an invaluable sounding board.


Me:

     Can you share a snippet from your story???


Gwen:

     Here is a snippet of when Nix first arrives at the Goblin fortress:

Before nightfall, we came to stop before a mighty sight to behold. I had never before seen a Goblin fortress. Humans lived in sprawling cities, some flanked by looming castles. This was entirely different: a great city made of stone carved into the side of a mountain. At the top sat a glorious stone keep, dwarfing the rest of the city.
The massive stone gates opened for us as we approached.
A sentry stopped us as soon as we entered. “My lord, the king has been raging for days over your disappearance. He's demanded to see you the moment you return.” He took notice of me, frowning in dismay. “Who’s the Human?”
“She’s with me.” Kobold's voice held an edge of authority it hadn't before. “I will personally tell the king of my return. Do not alert him.”
The sentry nodded, and stepped aside to let us pass.
My awe increased the further we ventured into the city. It was magnificent. Sunlight gleamed off the buildings and cobbled streets. The city was built in layers, each winding around the other in perfect harmony, becoming part of the mountainside. Buildings’ façades were beautifully carved with twisting motifs of nature and ornate swirls: the perfect mix of art and architecture.


Me:

     Your snippet is stunning.  I need to go to this place now.

     Thank you so much for sharing about Poisoned!  It definitely sounds like a story I would want to read!

     Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?  Who are you?  What do you like?


Gwen:

A bit about me, then.

I'm Gwen; which, yes, is short for something. I live in Michigan with my husband, my daughter, and our little black cat. I spend most of my days wrangling a small child, but I also try to spend time on my own hobbies. I'm an avid reader, knitter, and crocheter. I studied art in college, and I'm a great lover of history, especially art history. I love the color, music, and beauty of God's glorious creation.


Me:

Gwen, it was so nice to meet you!  I loved hearing about yourself and your story!  I wish you all the best in your future writing endeavors.  Thank you so much for visiting us.  Please come back again!


Ladies and Gentlemen, if you want to ask Gwen anything, I will forward your comments to her!  And please let her know if you enjoyed hearing about her Snow White retelling today!!!  I love you guys, and I want her to love you, too!  :D


Thanks again, Gwen!




Comments

  1. LKJDFHLASKJHF THIS BOOK YES I'm sorry, this take on Goblins is SUPER epic!!! (Is there a possibility of this getting published or something, so I can read it??) Gwen, it was nice to get to know a little about you and your submission!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story sounds fantastic Gwen, it has Goblins I'm sold.
    This was a great interview, Esther!
    <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?